Health and Wellness
What are some signs that you could use more resilience? You may find yourself experiencing anxiety and stress often, or even chronically, or perhaps you’re catching every cold and flu you are exposed to and it takes over for a week or two instead of a couple days to go away. Perhaps you feel tired or forgetful daily at work.
Sometimes we are too busy to even notice these signs or we write it off as just part of getting older. Many people are so disconnected and ‘busy’ that they don’t notice something is off. I would call this survival mode, getting through the day and the next task without taking time to notice that your body is actually screaming at you, signaling that something needs to change.
Top 3 Resilience-Building Tools:
When building resilience I like to combine tools. We are all pressed for time and we can pack a punch with condensed tools:
- Meditation while practicing deep breathing. Did I just lose you? Let’s break it down: Meditation is anything you want it to be. Stare into a candle flame and work on clearing the negative chatter in your mind. Or instead, focus on a mantra such as “Healthier and happier with each breath” or simply focus on your deep breathing, counting in for 4 and releasing for 6 and repeat. Meditation can be easy, we just need to make the time to practice. Try it out in the shower, or first thing in the morning as you’re waking up, or as a tool to help you sleep at night. Take note of how you feel before and after the meditation. Practice deep breathing during stressful situations to bring your heart rate down and pull you out of fight-or-flight.
Tip: Meditating 5x a week for 5 minutes is better than 1 time a week for a half hour.
Holiday Tip: Family can really know how to set off your stress triggers. There is also so much to do in a short amount of time. Any time you feel a negative response or a stress response such as short breath or elevated heart rate, take that time to breathe in all the way, hold it, and breathe out longer than you breathed in to stop the stress response. We can survive the holidays and avoid emotionally charged responses with baiting family members 😉
A synergistic meditation: meditate and deeply breathe outside barefoot. Why it’s good for resilience: Meditation and deep breathing both take your body out of fight or flight and into homeostasis. It stops stress hormone production and allows for your mind to be in the moment, further reducing stress. Becoming “grounded” by being outside barefoot does the same thing. As your health coach I can offer accountability and a knowing that others are practicing this with you for motivation.
Anxiety buster: Breathe in and out with this video:
2. Upgrade your sleep. If you’re having trouble sleeping, the above tools usually help with sleep, and here are some more proven tips that help: Try Magnesium powder like Natural Calm at night as tea. It’s estimated that over 90% of Americans are severely deficient in magnesium which is responsible for over 300 processes in the body including muscle and nerve function, blood glucose control, blood pressure regulation, and energy production. Symptoms of a magnesium deficiency include muscle spasms and cramps, seizures, anxiety, sleep disorders and irregular heart rhythms. Add lavender and chamomile essential oil to your nighttime routine. These both have a calming effect on the nervous system. The deep breathing method 4-6-7 is proven to improve sleep quality. Breathe in for 4, hold for 6, and breathe out for 7. Repeat five times.
3. Improve Digestion & Gut Health. Why? It will improve your immune system, physical health, mental health and mental clarity in a significant way, making you more resilient. There is a full protocol that I help customize for health coaching clients after finding out the client’s current diet, cravings, digestive issues and lifestyle in order to heal. Some easy things you can do: Add Bragg’s apple cider vinegar to water first thing in the morning with a teaspoon of raw honey to aid in digestion. Add a quality refrigerated probiotic and eat fermented foods like sauerkraut or kombucha daily.
Have you heard of the microbiome? How about Leaky Gut (Gut permeability)? Learn about these important wellness mechanisms and how they affect health and find out more with a FREE Health Coaching Consultation. You can truly feel better than you have in years by improving digestion and gut health. Functional medicine teaches that almost all diseases and autoimmune disorders begin with unhealthy guts. We now know how to heal and optimize the gut and people with autoimmune disorders, high blood pressure, type two diabetes and even alzheimer’s (now called type three diabetes) are finding relief.
Questions? Want to learn more about a Health Coaching Consultation or receive more information on resilience building?
There’s always more: Many more resilience building tools are available such as movement (dare I say exercise), self-care (take time for yourself, even just a bath, time to read, or get yourself a facial or massage 😉 ), self acceptance, self love, spending time with friends and a community and on and on. Learn which ones are best for you during your 6 month health coaching program or shorter specialized program.
Relax, your wellness is in my hands!
Do you have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep like most Americans? There are multiple reasons why, and in this issue we’ll address a big one: Screen Time at night.
Most of us watch tv, check our email, and of course check our bright-as-the-sun phone right before bed. All these screens have one thing in common, blue light. The blue light that emanates from all of our screens mimics bright sunlight that signals our bodies that it is nowhere near time to go to sleep. It shuts off melatonin production and causes eye strain.
- Download f.lux onto your laptop, tablet and phone. On my phone I’ve also used an app called Twilight. These apps filter out the harmful blue light and dim your screens based on your local sunset and sunrise times. Your screen will appear slightly dimmer, and more yellow/red instead of the eye piercing blue at night. It may take some getting used to, but it runs automatically and really helps me!
- We want cortisol to spike first thing in the morning and slowly decrease throughout the day, in time for melatonin production to take place at night. To help this process, you can – Eat a pinch of himilayan sea salt first thing in the morning. – Exercise in the morning even for 5-10 minutes. – Avoid the news or suspenseful shows at night. – And for f*ck’s sake do not open your work email as you’re headed to bed!
- Airplane Mode – If you sleep with your phone next to you, radiation waves are entering and affecting your brain waves all night. We often use our phones as our alarm clocks. If you need yours near by, please, please please turn your phone on Airplane Mode to stop the EMF waves. They are highly sleep disrupting, plus when we wake up in the middle of the night we’re tempted to check our phone, aka the SUN and then it’s all over for quality sleep.
- These highly fashionable orange glasses filter out 98% of blue light, reducing eye strain and allowing you to watch tv without affecting melatonin production at night. http://amzn.to/2bwlimO . Glasses reduce eye fatigue and Computer Vision Syndrome.
Filtering out the blue light and EMF can drastically help with your sleep, and reduce anxiety. Experiment with it for a week and see how it goes for you.
Would you like more help on improving sleep, reducing stress, or having more energy naturally? Click here to learn more.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day, we’re all a little Irish!
Here is my favorite organic green juice recipe:
Super Green Juice! 1 stock of celery, 1 large cucumber or 4 small persian cucumbers, two bunches of super greens, one bunch of wheatgrass, 1 full lemon including peel, 1 inch chunk of ginger, 1/2 tbsp powdered chlorella, two shakes turmeric powder.
Remember your avocado today too, your plate doesn’t want to get pinched either!
NOTES: The masticating juicer is the best for juicing vegetables and wheatgrass. Costco has organic celery, super greens and ginger. Trader Joe’s has organic persian cucumber and lemons. I grow my own wheatrgass but you can also purchase it at whole foods.
Find Organic Chlorella Powder here.
Green Juice Benefits:
Alkalinity – The Standard American Diet (SAD) is made up of acidic processed foods and drinks that end up promoting inflammation. Green juice helps make the body’s pH less acidic. Inflammation and an acidic diet is being found to promote cancer, chronic illness, auto-immune disorders, poor digestion, depression, brain disorders, insomnia and the list goes on. Reducing inflammation in the body improves overall health.
Gentle Detoxing – It cleanses the blood, liver, digestive tract, and kidneys. It also provides support for all major organs of the body.
Digestion – While we’ve taken the fiber out of the veggies for green juice, celery is full of HCL which aids in digestion. Ginger is a well known digestive aide and stomach soother, and the enzymes found in vegetables also aid in digestion.
Nutrient Absorption – the nutrients from green juice are quickly absorbed into the blood stream, packed full of magnesium – an important mineral that almost everyone is deficient in. Calcium, potassium and strong antioxidants are also quickly absorbed. Food cravings often occur from a lack of nutrients such as magnesium. When the body has enough, food cravings can lessen or disappear.
Why chlorella? It is one of only a few nutrients that binds to the heavy metal mercury and helps the body pass it. Chlorella is such a powerful detoxifier, rich in chlorophyll, which is known to:
- Aid you in processing more oxygen
- Cleanse key elimination systems like your bowel, liver, and blood
- Help purify your blood and clean away toxins
- Aid you in promoting optimal blood pressure
- Support elimination of molds in your body
- Help neutralize bad air you might breathe in
- Promote growth and repair of your tissues
It also aids in:
- Boosting your immune system
- Improving your digestion, especially if constipation is a problem
- Providing B vitamins
- Enhancing your ability to focus and concentrate
- Increasing your energy levels
- Balancing your body’s pH
- Normalizing your blood sugar
- Reducing your cancer risk
- Freshening your breath
More about chlorella from Dr. Mercola
Another note: The body needs a balance of alkaline and acidity. Making your body too alkaline also has its own issues. You can get pH test strips if you’re curious what your pH is. Almost everyone will benefit from eating less sugar, less processed foods, less grains, higher quality meats and fats, and much more vegetables.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Please note you need a spiralizer, found at kitchen shops or online. Amazon has many different ones to choose from. Spiralizers are super fun to use and they open up a new world of veggie noodles and asian dishes! See spiralizer choices at the bottom of this page.
Cooking Time 10 minutes
Yields 3+ servings
- 1 1/2 pints heirloom or regular cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped, plus more for serving
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated (optional)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 medium size zucchinis
- 1/4-1/2 pound spaghetti/angel hair pasta(gluten free pasta recommended or double spiralized zucchini)
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 poached eggs ( is the method I use to poach my eggs)
- 4 ounces freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
Meanwhile, finely chop/mince 1 pint of cherry tomatoes and add them to a bowl. To the bowl add the sun-dried tomatoes (do not drain all the oil), basil, garlic, lemon juice and crushed red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper to your liking. Set aside and allow to sit at least 10 minutes.
Once the water is boiling, boil the pasta according to package directions. Poach eggs while cooking pasta.
Meanwhile using a spiralizer, spiralize the zucchini and add it to large bowl. Toss in the drained hot pasta and allow it to slightly cook the zucchini noodles. Add the kalamata olives, olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss well. Toast pine nuts.
Divide the pasta among 4 plates or bowls. Top each portion with tomato sauce and 1 poached egg. Sprinkle with parmesan and toasted pine nuts. Break the poach egg and toss the pasta allowing it to create a sauce. Add more parmesan and basil. EAT.
I’ve made this a dozen times. It’s SO fresh and tasty every time, and leaves people HAPPY after they eat it. They are full but energized and happy. This dish is made with love! I’ve made this dish with ONLY spiralized zucchini noodles a majority of the time.
Most of us do not make enough time for ourselves. Whether we are “too busy” or we feel that making “me time” is “selfish”, most of us prefer to care for others without caring for our self. One can quickly become depleted without taking time to recharge.
I recommend to you that you give yourself permission to make your own wellness a priority in order to perform better in life, be happier, be healthier, and have the energy to care for others in your life in a healthy way.
The Wellness Services I offer help people obtain their own wellness goals, get rid of negative thoughts, and show their healthy glowing skin. Aside from what wellness professionals offer, simply breathing deeply, doing yoga in your home or outside, meditating, getting outdoors, taking a lavender and epsom salt bath, free writing, etc. are all cheap/free ways to care for yourself.
Be Well Monterey! I’m here to help.